The World Is Yours to Shape
Lots of people have fixer-uppers. But for some folks, these projects are entire worlds. This month's Pyramid -- the PDF magazine for roleplayers -- offers tools and resources to help build a fantasy world:
- "The Turning Points of History" offers a set of random tables to generate fantastic histories suitable for the smallest towns, the most epic worlds, and everything in between. Written by Matt Riggsby (author of GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 8: Treasure Tables), this article will have you devising today's action using yesterday's lore.
- "Shadowland Runners," an add-on about how information brings rule to a widespread kingdom. GURPS author Michele Armellini describes (with GURPS rules) the ephemeral world that makes this communication possible.
- "God Is Dead," this month's Eidetic Memory offering from GURPS Fourth Edition co-author David Pulver, includes both systemless and GURPS insight. How does the world react when one of its deities dies?
- "In the Jungle," which takes your fantasy gaming in a new direction -- straight up! Discover what the canopied world of trees has in common with dungeon-delving action.
- "The Gnomish Mafia," a generic organization suitable for anywhere that can welcome small criminals with big plans.
- "The Children of the Coming Darkness," a dire development for your GURPS Banestorm campaign. Can the world survive the plans of this insane cult?
- "The Duodecennial Deviations," a developed look at how a calendar might bestow or remove GURPS abilities . . . and what that means for the world at large.
- "Spirits in Everyday Life," an examination of how the spirits of a fantasy world might be appeased . . . and what can happen if they aren't.
This issue also contains a Random Thought Table that considers world-building from a rule standpoint, plus Odds and Ends we didn't have room for elsewhere . . . including a Murphy's Rules that's gone to the dogs.
They say the world keeps on turning regardless of our actions. However, it won't be as cool if you're not involved -- and Pyramid is here to help!
Visit the official web page for more info, resources, product support, and links.