Penumbra: The Ebon Mirror
Curiouser and Curiouser . . .
A quest to destroy cursed artifacts leads a party of adventurers into a mirror world, where the laws of reason and magic have been radically twisted. Feral gnomes and savage halflings prowl the forests alongside warlike humans and barbarous elves, while peaceful goblins, orcs, and ogres farm the land, always fearful of another brutal attack. Only the divine protection of the sacred undead keeps the bloodthirsty hordes at bay.
The PCs must find their way out of this strange world before it destroys them . . . but on the way, they have to deal with their suddenly new and unfamiliar abilities, and face their own altered personalities.
The Ebon Mirror is a d20 system adventure designed for characters of 8th through 10th level. It includes:
- Information on the Crucible of Osai, an order dedicated to preserving the flow of magic by destroying "flawed" artifacts - both dangerous cursed items and frivolous magical objects - that waste magical energy and upset the balance between matter and magic.
- 18 magic items and minor artifacts, with alternate rules for use in the mirror world.
- Stats for the sacred undead - the remains of those humanoids with a glimmer of goodness in their souls, and so brought back by the gods to atone for their sins. They are charged with divine light and make true the phrase, "the only good human is a dead human."
- A new monster called the antisphinx, with the body of a woman and the head of a lion, whose riddles block escape from the mirror world.
- A complete rules appendix for conversion of spells and magic items into their mirror-world antithesis
Requires the use of the Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook.
Written by Keith Baker.
* ISBN 1589780108 * $16.95
The Power of PDF: Penumbra: The Ebon Mirror is also available as a digital download on our sister-site, e23!
Related Links: Atlas Games - Penumbra - d20 System - Roleplaying Games